Willing to be willing but unable to stop

About my bulimia and other people/romance addictions...

Monday, June 12, 2006

relapse--a gift?

thanks heather so much for your response, comments and questions. can relapse be a gift, or "perfect", in the sense of leading us to a more genuine recovery and fuller life?

i have often thought about my relapse as maybe a blessing in disguise. when i look back on my almost 4 years of "recovery", it is clear that i was not really living life to the fullest. i still suffered from low self-esteem, bouts of severe depression, poor body image, fear of food or rather my desires of food, occasional binging, and self-deprivation following binges. still i thought i had made huge gains by not purging.

the height of my bulimia was around age 25. i was b/p 7-8 times per day and keeping down no food whatsoever. i was throwing up carrots sometimes. i had been arrested twice for stealing food the year earlier because i could not afford the binges during grad school (can you believe it--a social work grad student stealing food everyday). i was promiscuous and sleeping with assholes. i became pregnant, no big surprise and a huge shock and disappointment to my family who all thought i was in recovery....also the first family member to become pregnant out of wedlock. what a mess. and i was so scared.

luckily, my food cravings were replaced with food aversions during the pregnancy. i simply did not have such intense desires to binge. i still did b/p but much less often and mostly from loneliness while being pregnant. i was committed though to staying healthy and having a healthy baby and slowly, my b/p decreased. by the end of the pregnancy, i was practically free from purging behavior other than once per month and even then it did not feel like bulimic behavior since i would never plan to purge...it was more like morning sickness.

when the baby was born, i felt like it was my ticket to freedom from bulimia, the start of a new life...and it was. my baby was adopted by my aunt, something that was decided from the first months of pregnancy. she had already been planning to adopt due to a horrible miscarriage she suffered and an inability to have anymore children. i knew i could not give my baby everything she needed and that she deserved so much more. this may sound odd but i actually felt that having my daughter out of wedlock and giving her up for adoption were such a gift since it freed me from the compulsion to purge. i think of her as having saved my life. i can honestly say that until 6 months ago, i felt no such desire to purge. i would have dreams of throwing up and wake up in a cold sweat relieved that is was only a dream. but purging was not part of my life or an option anymore.

however, after the baby, my food intake invariably was always correlated to my love life. everytime i would enter a new relationship, i would become so excited and hopeful, i would loose my appetite and with it the 5 pounds. it almost felt manic....not that i know what full-blown mania feels like. i had no desire for food, only for this new man in my life or maybe the hope that this was the beginning of my life. how long i had waited....and how disappointed i would feel when it became clear that this man was not the one for me. how pathetic i feel just to read what i wrote but nevertheless, it is true.

i believe my biggest trigger for binging is loneliness which is why i have found food a comfort my whole life. i have always felt lonely, apart from, different from the others, etc... i am much less lonely than i was say 5 years ago but i still am obsessed with finding that "true" love, my dreams of being a mother and a wife, of making a home that maybe i always longed for myself growing up but never had. and yet, having self-insight to this and DOING something about are vastly different from each other.

i choose today to view this part of my life as a gift. many will not understand but those of you who suffered through a major relapse and came out on the other end will understand and i believe that it is not only possible but a great opportunity.

today i did binge and purge twice. i had all the food from yesterday's stockpile which i could not finish over the weekend. i could not wait to get home and consume it. i felt almost excited about it. i will be honest and say that even as i sat listening to my 5:00 client for therapy, i was distracted by my desire for food. i am so ashamed of this and yet i want to be honest about it. my bulimia has taken over my life in less than 4 months...even my devotion to my career cannot distract me from it entirely. but i know it does not have to be this way. i am looking forward to sunday, my first day of abstinence.

thanks again for all of you out there and your blogs.

4 Comments:

Blogger Emily Jolie said...

Wow, Jackie! You have gone through so much, and yet there is so much strength and determination coming through in your post!
Thank you for sharing such personal aspects of your life with us! I always feel so blessed when someone else lets me in to the deeper levels of their life, thoughts, and feelings! This is what I love about blogging - the openness, the non-judgementalism... it is a forum where we can be ourselves completely without fear of judgment by others.

I'll be here reading and going through the motions with you - as I am sure many more will be who you are touching with your story!

love,
Emily

11:14 PM  
Blogger Feisty Frida said...

Hi Jackie. My worst trigger as well, is when I'm by myself. I'm surrounded by people all day and night, except for 2 hours every evening, between the time I put my little boy to bed, and when my husband gets home...I try to keep busy during those 2 hours, but the urge to B&P almost always overcomes me. I as well, had a few years Bulimia-free, and only since my little boy was born, 2.5 years ago, with the tremendous pressure I put on myself to lose the weight, did Bulimia come back with a vengence. And is still here.

Welcome to blogging, if anything, it'll make you realize that you are definitely not alone. And the support is tremendous.

Take care,
Frida

4:28 PM  
Blogger Ancilla said...

hello :)
dont worry, the most important thing is realize that you are not alone in this world...

7:25 PM  
Blogger Gooey Munster said...

Hi Jackie and Welcome!

Wow you are so beautiful. You have so much courage and honesty here. I know this is hard, and after relapse it is even harder. You write and I am completely in tuned with each word. This disease is progressive, when dormant it hides and finds ways to take us down with no remorse the next time.

I loved in and out of bulimia for all of my 20s. Over a year ago my bulimia was accompanied by alcohol as well. I did not want to die, but did not know how to live. I am so blessed for those horrible days. I still struggle, and am trying to aim for progress rather than perfection. I just turned 30 and had 7 months of abstinence -- more to come on that.

I hope that you stay and share your journey. There is no judgement here -- you will find love, support and understanding.

You past is your greatest asset . . .

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home